Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm a fan of Fan Coral

For todays post I have decided to post a very easy DIY project. Honestly I am not a fan, parden the pun, of DIY/craft projects as they never seem to come out quite the way I envisioned but this project was a snap.

Inspired by the image below from Style at Home magazine. I ripped it out and have been saving it for inspiration for the past year. I finally tackled the project this past week. I'm sure many of you have seen this similar piece of Fan Coral Artwork featured in various design magazines over the past several years. It's a very graphic and dimensional piece of artwork. Designers love it! I know I do.

The fan coral is something we regularly stock at Moving Designz along with a great selection of other sea shells.

The latest issue of Style at Home had one displayed beautifully on a floating shelf.
The image below is how we display them at Moving Designz Home & Cottage. They are a very popular item in the store.

I went into Michaels Craft store and purchased a shadow box like the one below only the one I bought measured 24" X 30". Luckily they were on sale at 50% off regular prices.
I then found the tools I needed in my toolkit. Some picture wire and my hot glue gun.


I had Michaels cut me a piece of white linen mat board to fit perfectly inside the frame since the backing that comes with the frame was black.


Then it was simply a matter of using hot glue to mount the coral to the mat board.

And the finished product, well here it is... I love it.

I'm once again off to a buying show this weekend in Toronto. Look forward to new and exciting home decor arriving weekly all Spring. In the meantime discover huge savings at Moving Designz Home & Cottage. We need to make room for all the new stuff.

SAVE 10% on all flower stems
SAVE 50% on all childrens clothing, accessories and wall art
SAVE 25% on in-stock Vintage Velvet Quilts
SAVE $100 - $200 on selected floor model upholstered furniture
SAVE 20% on all Ladies Handbags
SAVE 15% on all in-stock occasional tables
SAVE 10% on all in-stock light fixtures

**Update your space with new toss cushions filled with luscious feather down and SAVE 20% off the ticketed prices.

Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend!

Susan

3 comments:

Ashley said...

The step by step of the fan looks great!!

Susan said...

Thanks it was very easy to do.

Jenn said...

I would love to try this. did you have Michaels cut a mat for you for around the frame as well or did it come with the shadow box?